There are some luxury brands that one can only dream of. To me, the first such brand that comes to mind is Louis Vuitton. The striking identity of its bags is the “Monogram Canvas” that looks like:
The initials ‘LV’ are part of the canvas design.
Here are some quick facts about the brand that is every handbag connoisseur’s ultimate dream:
- Having been founded in 1854, LV completes 160 years, next year. That’s the massive experience that goes into their bags.
- The very first products they made were trunks and later diversified into the bags as we know them today.
- The LV Building that opened in Champs-Elysees in 1913 in France was the biggest travel goods store in the world at that time.
- LV is the 29th most valuable brand in the world according to the Milward Brown 2010 study.
- A friend who has visited their store tells me that LV shopping assistants at their stores handle the bags wearing gloves and never bare-handed. It is apparent that customers are not encouraged to indiscriminately touch them either.
- This has got to be the most astonishing thing I have ever heard in the world of bags (I really hope it’s a rumour) – LV burns all unsold bags at the end of the year. Why do they do it? Being a luxury brand, they do it to avoid losing their “exclusivity”. They never have a sale on their stuff for the same reason.
- LV does not advertise on television as it does not believe in mass advertising.
- LV sponsors sailing events; The Louis Vuitton Cup is the yachting competition that selects the teams to ultimately take part in the America’s Cup competition.
- Every LV bag is handmade.
- LV is now owned by Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy (LVMH) that is a luxury brands group and was formed in 1987. LVMH owns some of the best known brands across the world such as Christian Dior, Fendi, Guerlain, Tag Heuer etc.
- Louis Vuitton, the founder, was introduced to the world of box-making and packaging when he took up odd jobs after running away from home. His interest was further honed when he was hired by Napolean III’s wife as her personal packer and trunk-maker. Thus was laid the foundation of this luxury brand!